Well how did you go with this one? The Walton children certainly
had many and varied pets over the years, some of which didn't
seem to stay around for more than one or two episodes. Some of
the pets we, on the mailing list came up with were:
- The family cow (Chance). It would seem that Chance was
a popular name for cows in the Walton family, because there were
at least two cows called Chance during the series. The first
one died when John Boy was graduating, and he returned his graduation
suit to buy a new cow instead.
- The family dog (Reckless)
- Elizabeth's racoon (Pete)
- Jim Bob's peacock (Rover)
- Elizabeth's cat (Calico), who dies whilst having her kittens
in The Loss. Young Olivia saves the kittens and Elizabeth gives
one of them to her.
- Not exactly a Walton pet, but the school guinea pig (Porthos)
was in Jim Bob's care for a while. Unfortunately it died and Jim
Bob runs away when he feels that nobody in the family cares.
- The goat (Myrtle) which was given to the Walton family
by their friend Maude.
- Myrtle's baby goat (Gingerbread)
- Elizabeth's horse (Molly) and her foal
- Erin's baby deer (Sir Lancelot)
- The canary which Jim Bob bought for Grandma (Chirppy)
- Jeffrey's cat (Harold) who turns out to be a girl, when
she has kittens.
- Jim Bob's duck, which he hatched by holding the egg under
his arm. Jim Bob called this duck Jim Bob Junior.
- Serena and Jeffrey also had a dog, but I'm not sure of
- Mary Ellen had a pet lamb fairly early in the series.